Match Reports 2012-13

Round 17 v Prahran

In what was a socially successful day for the club, the lower elevens led the way on the field to record much needed victories in their push towards finals campaigns.

In the 3rd eleven, Jeremy Corby and Robbie Phelan made it twin hundreds in Carlton’s demolition of Prahran.  Chasing a competitive Prahran total of 7-240 dec, in which Stuart Wilson was the best of the bowlers with 3-41, Carlton gained victory with 5 overs remaining in the days play. For Corby, his hundred has earned him a recall into the 2nd eleven, for their win at all costs encounter with Frankston Peninsula.

In the 4th eleven, a devastating all round display by Patrick Crowle has seen the Blues win their 3rd in a row, pushing them up to 12th on the ladder. Crowle took 2-21 in Prahran’s 108 all out, before rescuing the Blues from 5-58 to secure a comfortable win. Crowle put on 84 with Matt Wilson (42), to finish on 86. An outright attempt fell short, as Carlton secured its fourth win from five matches, having lost the first ten to start the year.

Les Petsinis was almost the hero in the 2nd eleven, as he single handedly rescued Carlton from 7-42, to amass a memorable 134. Unfortunately, his 69 run last wicket partnership with Matt Culvenor came to an end when he was run out just 19 runs adrift from a remarkable victory.  Earlier in the day, Chris Millard took the final two Prahran wickets, to finish with 4-49 in a sensational display from the veteran.

The loss now sees qualification for finals resting on the final two matches against Frankston-Penisula and North Melbourne.

The 1st eleven suffered their first outright defeat in some years, going down to Prahran in a game that went to the wire at Princes Park. Dismissed cheaply on day one, Carlton went about bowling the True Blues out for fewer than 143 on a lively wicket. Despite David Hussey blasting 85 before he was dismissed in the final over, Carlton’s eight wickets before stumps saw the Blues go into day with a chance of an unlikely win.

The two early wickets didn’t come in time as Prahran went into into the 2nd innings with a 14 run lead, with both teams eying an outright result. Carlton’s 4-158 was set up from the start by an unbeaten 73 by Mark Phelan, and topped off by an explosive 55* from Tom Smyth, who  blasted the Prahran attack to set the visitors 145 for victory.

The early wickets didn’t come in droves like Carlton would have hoped, with Prahran scratching out an outright win with just two balls to spare in the days play.  Chris Salm took another three wickets, to bring his match tally to eight, while Ryan Sidebottom continued his impressive season by adding another five wickets to his tally.

The club now faces Frankston Peninsula this weekend, with finals a mathematical option for all four grades.

Round 13 v Fitzroy-Doncaster 

Carlton has completed a successful round 13, defeating Fitzroy-Doncaster in the three grades last weekend.

With only one century maker up and until this round, the third two day match of the year allowed for 3 more hundreds to be added to the list.

In week one, English import Joe Sexton registered his first ever century, chalking up 114 in the fourths 8-288 (dec).While in the seconds, Mark Phelan (126*) and Donavan Pell (127) put on 214 for the first wicket in a fantastic winning run chase.

Other notable performances included the firsts bowling out Fitzroy-Doncaster out for 95, in reply to our 9-239 dec, while the fourths registered their first win of the year.

The firsts have entrenched themselves in the top half of the ladder with a magnificent 144 run victory.

In trouble early on day one at 4-54 and 5-94, Carlton managed to scrape together what would be a winning total of 9-239. Middle order runs from Buszard (36) and Ross (54) helped push the score past 150, while Tim Welsford batted with the tail for a well constructed 60*.

Bowling conditions on day two were friendly, with Nick Austin and Tim Welsford taking full advantage.Fantastic spells from the duo had the visitors struggling at 4-29, before Chris Salm (3-34) and Ryan Sidebottom (2-22) dismantled the middle order.Fitzroy Doncaster were eventually dismissed for 95, with Austin (3-21) and Welsford (2-7) the pick of the bowlers.

The seconds moved their way into within striking distance of the finals, with a fantastic run chase being rewarded with a win.

Bowling first on day one, the experienced opposition line up got the better of the Blues bowlers, racking up 4-296 dec. from their innings.

In what was always going to be a tough chase, Donovan Pell and Mark Phelan made it look easy, scoring frequently to set a 214 run opening stand. For Pell, who was dismissed first for 127, it was his first hundred in the 2nd XI since being promoted earlier in the year.Phelan finished the day not out on 126*, when he and Chris Millard passed the total.

The thirds suffered Carlton’s only loss for the round, going down to a resilient Fitzroy Doncaster.

Darren Colaco (4-18) and Dean Peter-Budge (5-21) had Carlton well in the box seat early on day one, with the visitors floundering at 7-35. Strong late order partnerships managed to get Fitzroy-Doncaster to 140, which would ultimately prove too difficult to chase.

Four wickets lost overnight had us well on the back foot heading into day two, and with wickets falling regularly, Carlton were bowled out for 89 in a disappointing performance.

The fourths had a big win heading into Christmas, with our youngest side getting their first points of the year. Joe Sexton and Brody Harbinson were the day one stars, putting together a big partnership of 131, to set up what would be a winning total of 8-288 (dec).

Carlton never looked troubled, with Luke Money (4-9) helping to destroy Fitzroy Doncaster for 51 all out. An outright attempt fell just short, with Fitzroy-Doncaster reaching 6-183 when stumps were pulled.

With just one game remaining before Christmas, the club has a huge test against the Tigers this week, with four wins to put us back in the top 6 of the Club Championship.


Round Nine & Ten T20

Inconsistent performances continue to plague Carlton, following another up and down weekend of T20 action. After losing four matches against St.Kilda CC Saturday, the Blues bounced back to take three out of four wins against the Camberwell Magpies Sunday.

The first eleven backed up its tight loss to the Saints last weekend, with a similarly disappointing loss this round, going down to the Saints by just one run. Bowling first, the early wicket of Rob Quiney was offset by some blistering batting from St.Kilda’s experienced top order, who raced to 1/52 from just 6 overs. Having earlier dismissed Quiney, Ryan Sidebottom claimed the prized wicket of Handscomb, to finish with figures of 2-34.

On the back of some tight bowling and fielding, Carlton worked their way back into the game, restricting the Saints scoring ability, as well as taking vital wickets to keep the chase to an achievable target. A wicket a piece to Welsford, Austin and Smyth, as well as 2 for Sidebottom, kept St.Kilda to 136.

The Blues chase began slowly, with tight bowling from St.Kilda ensuring the Blues didn’t get away. Starts throughout the innings, tempered Carlton’s ability to score, and left a required run rate of above 10 for victory. Excellent hitting by Tom Smyth and Tim Buszard left Carlton with 16 required from the final over. Three ‘2’s’ and a 6, gave the Blues a chance with two balls to spare, however Lachie McKenna’s dismissal and 2 from the final ball from Sidebottom, saw the Blues go down by a solitary run.

Sunday’s performance was much more positive, with the Blues gaining a much needed win, on the back of a fantastic performance by Nathan Pilon.

Bowling first yet again, Camberwell got off to a scintillating start, before tight spells from Millard and Smyth pulled the Magpies back. Finishing at 5-130, wickets were shared between Sidebottom (2-22), Austin (1-29) and Welsford (1-21).

The chase began in a similar fashion to Saturday, with a controlled start ensuring wickets in hand for the end of the innings. Once McCormick departed for 16 however, Hancock and Pilon put together an outstanding partnership that set up victory for the Blues. Hancock, who finished with 47, was the perfect foil for Pilon, who clobbered an unbeaten 60 in the 8 wicket win.

Carlton play Geelong tonight for a chance to put distance between the top 8 and the chasing pack.

In much the same vein as their senior counterparts, Carlton rectified what could have been a disastrous weekend, with a stellar bowling performance on Sunday against Camberwell.

Batting first against the Magpies, Carlton could only manage 8-106 from their 20 overs, after being 6-44 earlier in the day. Jayden Borg was outstanding, amassing 37 late order runs, to keep the Blues in the game.

The bowling performance needed to be nothing short of fantastic in order to get the win. Fortunately for Carlton this was the case, with a Chris Salm led attack halting any Camberwell momentum, restricting the Magpies to under five an over for the first ten overs.

Excellent work from the spinners and Ashley Sweet through the middle overs put the task beyond reach, bowling out Camberwell for just 82 in an incredible effort from the bowlers.

Chris Salm finished with 1-5 from his four, while Ash Sweet got 2-19 to go along with his 15 not out with the bat.

Saturday’s performance was a polar opposite for the Blues, going down to top of the table St.Kilda in a high scoring affair.

The Saints got off to a blistering start, making the most of the powerplay overs on a great Junction wicket and fast outfield. Despite Matt Culvenor and Ash Sweet pulling back the run rate significantly, St.Kilda still managed to post 4-157 from their 20.

Cam Stevenson’s promotion up the order promised fireworks, on which he delivered with a powerful start to the Blues innings. Finishing on 42, Stevenson gave Carlton a chance of chasing the big total set, however regular wickets and tight bowling ensured that the Blues would fall short in this encounter.

Harry Smyth performed strongly late, finishing with 39 not out, and was ably supported by Jeremy Corby (16) and Donavan Pell (21).

Round Seven & Eight T20

It was a strange weekend of T20’s for the Blues, who failed to capitalise on opportunity, falling short in a number of tight games across the weekend.

For the first’s, it was a bittersweet weekend in Bendigo, going down off the last ball against St.Kilda, after comprehensively defeating Melbourne University earlier in the day. On an individual level, it was a day of celebration for two club stalwarts, Nick Austin and Tim Welsford, who played their 200th game for Carlton and 200th overall Premier match respectively.

The first of the T20’s, against neighbours Melbourne University, highlighted Carlton’s ability in the shortest form of the game. Early wickets to Welsford, following a fiery spell from Ryan Sidebottom, put the students on the back foot at 2-40 after ten overs.

Uni rallied briefly in the second stint, due to 45 from the experienced Simpson, to close at 4-115 after their 20 over allotment. Fast starts from both Pilon (31) and Hancock (15) ensured Carlton was never going to be troubled with the miserly total. Nick Ross’s 38*, as well as Tom Smyth’s 35, saw Carlton chase the target with 2.3 overs to spare.

The second game of the day at Queen Elizabeth Oval saw an all round disappointing performance from the Blues. Batting first against the Saints, Carlton lost regular wickets throughout their innings, unable to string a significant partnership together. Tim Buszard continued his excellent season, with a hard fought and important 38*, which kept Carlton competitive at 8-120 at the close.

Superb bowling performances early in St.Kilda’s innings saw regular wickets fall and a run-rate of less than five runs an over for much of the innings. 200 gamers, Nick Austin and Tim Welsford were the standouts, with 3-10 off 4 and 1-10 off 3 respectively.

With four overs remaining the Saints still required in excess of 50 runs; however a strong partnership saw them rally to need ten from the final over to win the match. A stunning 6 from the final ball saw St.Kilda get over the line and take the points in a thrilling encounter.

The seconds’ matches went a similar way to the firsts, with a win in game one, followed by defeat in the later game.

Restricting Melbourne University to 8-113, thanks largely to Cam Stevenson (2-11 off 4) and Harry Smyth (3-20 off 4), Carlton were well in the game from the outset. A strong performance from Trent McCormick, who was run out for 42, set a solid platform for the Blues; however regular wickets threatened to derail their chase.

Composure at the death from skipper Les Petsinis and Chris Millard got the blues over the line with two balls to spare.

The 2nd match saw a much improved batting effort from the Blues who posted 3-139 off their allotted overs. Trent McCormick (41), worked well with the top order, before Cam Stevenson capped off a successful double header, with a quick-fire 36* at the end of the Blues innings.

Disappointingly however, an even batting performance by Camberwell got them over the line with just one ball to spare. Harry Smyth took three wickets, while Chris Millard took 2-13 off his 4 overs.


In the thirds, two strong performances were not enough to get the 2nd on the table Blues over the line.

In game one, having won the toss and bat, the Blues got off to an excellent start courtesy of the top order. Jeremy Corby led the way with 45, and was ably supported by Robbie Phelan and Tim Knox, who scored 37 and 39 respectively. Finishing on 5/148 from their 20 overs, Carlton looked to be in the box seat heading into the second innings.

A strong opening partnership from Melbourne Uni, kept them in the game, and small partnerships throughout saw them need 7 runs from the final over. 3 wickets in the last, seemed to put the Blues on top, however a six off the final ball, saw Carlton go down in game one. Anthony Percy the pick of the bowlers with 4-26.

In game two, tired bowlers and fielders couldn’t stop an early onslaught from Camberwell, who rushed out to 60 from the opening powerplay. A strong effort from the Carlton bowlers managed to keep the Magpies in check, restricting them to 2/163.

Despite another 40 from Jeremy Corby, the total was just out of reach for the Blues, who finished 7-141, 22 arrears of Camberwell’s total.

The fourth eleven had another disappointing weekend, going down in each of their T20 fixtures. In game one, Carlton set a competitive 3-124, courtesy of 78 not out from Englishman James Pettitt.

A couple of early wickets had Melbourne Uni on the back foot, however the more experienced university outfit, put crucial partnerships together to chase down the total with 10 balls to spare.

Game two saw Camberwell post a strong total of 7-152 from their allotment. The experienced Mick Paradisis was the pick of the bowlers, with 2-29 from his four. The total proved too much to ask in terms of chasing; Carlton finishing at 5-85 after 20.

A disappointing weekend for the Blues, with lots of close defeats ruining what could have been a great weekend for the club.  All four elevens will be looking to rectify this weekend, with T20 games on both Saturday and Sunday.



 Round Six v Dandenong

It was another up and down week for the Blue boys, with strong victories coming in the first and third grades, while the second and fourth grades went down.

The weekend was highlight filled however, with a blistering hundred from Donavan Pell, a record last wicket partnership and some improved performances down the grades.

Playing away to the Panthers at Shepley Oval, the firsts got an important win on the back of resilient performances from the bowlers. Favourable bowling conditions met Carlton batters early on day one, who were in trouble at 2-3. Nathan Pilon batted with the middle order well, before falling for 48, and leaving Carlton 5/90 at tea.

Regular wickets fell throughout the Blues middle and lower order to have the visitors reeling at 9-170. It was the captain Tim Welsford and Ryan Sidebottom who proved the heroes however, putting on a club record 79 for the last wicket. Welsford’s 60*, was his best since his return to the club, and was more than adequately supported by Sidebottom (28), who is yet to be dismissed in Premier first eleven cricket. Carlton posted a competitive 258, which would pose a genuine challenge to Dandenong’s batsmen.

Day two saw a disciplined performance from the bowlers early, who bowled without much luck until Ryan Sidebottom removed danger man Tom Donnell just after drinks. From there Tim Welsford went on a rampage taking 3 wickets in two overs to put the Blues back in the contest.

A strong partnership from Dandenong threatened defeat for the blues; however wickets to Sidebottom, Salm, Smyth and Austin kept the Panthers tail at bay, dismissing them for 222.

The seconds match saw Carlton get into a positive position with the ball, before floundering in their chase of Dandenong’s total. Ashley Sweet was no doubt the player of the game for Carlton, who set the game up with 4-33 in the first innings and backed it up with a fighting 41* from number ten.

On day one, Carlton had all the early momentum, when the panthers fell to 6/102. A strong effort from their tail, managed to scrounge out a further 96 runs, finally posting a now competitive 200, in which Carlton would have 99 overs to chase.

The Blues innings began badly, with Dean Peter Budge being dismissed before the close of play on day one, in which Carlton finished at 1/24, requiring 177 more for victory.

Day two was one to forget for the Blues, as the loss of key batsmen left a incredibly difficult task for the tail to steal a victory. Recovering from 8-90, Chris Millard (33) and Sweet guided Carlton to a competitive position, however their job was too big, being dismissed for 165, 36 short of a winning total.

In the thirds, a delayed start to day one did nothing to halt Donavan Pell’s first hundred for the club. A massive partnership of 179 with skipper Jeremy Corby (68) saw Pell constantly threaten the boundary rope in a dominant display. He finished with 128, a large chunk of Carlton’s 6-263 off just 69 overs.

From the first over on day two, an outright victory looked possible, with the Blue’s bowlers trundling at their intimidating best. Daniel Gilbert’s 4-9 off 11 overs was a highlight in the first innings demolition, in which the Panthers were bowled out for 81.

The second innings continued in the same vein, with all bowlers contributing to the 37 over rout, which resulted in a well deserved outright victory. Tim Knox snared 3-10 in the second innings, while Quinn, Culvenor and Wilson each grabbed two.

The fourths suffered another defeat this round, however continuing to display steady signs of improvement across the board. Bowled out for 74 in the first innings, the clubs youngest put a fantastic effort in with the ball, to bowl Dandenong out for 141. Shannon Blewitt was the standout, with 4-12 off 9 overs.

The second innings saw a much improved batting effort from the top order, with Anthony Percy scoring 76*, in a fantastic partnership with James Pettitt, who scored 72. The Blues finished with 1-156, demonstrating they have what it takes to compete within the league.

Round Five v Footscray-Edgewater


Day 1

Carlton has an opportunity to collect four wins this weekend, with all four sides being well in the game against Footscray-Edgewater CC.

In the 1st XI, Carlton were on the back foot early with Footscray’s WA import Wes Robinson batting extremely well for 92. Assisted by Ben Green (57), Footscray raced to 1-144 just after the break before a series of breakthroughs saw the Blues get back into the match. Tim Welsford removed Green, while Tom Smyth got Robinson just shy of his first Premier Cricket hundred.

In a superb turnaround by the bowlers, Carlton took the last 9 wickets for just 118 runs, limiting the Bulldogs to 266 all out from 88 overs. Nick Austin continued his stellar season with 5-42, taking the important wickets of Travis Dean and Dylan Kight in successive balls, before removing the Footscray tail for a limited output.

Tim Buszard and Chris Salm each contributed a wicket also in a solid day one performance. 

In the 2nd XI, Carlton are left with 217 runs to chase at stumps, after a well-rounded bowling effort restricted Footscray to 222 from 85.1 overs. Overnight, Carlton is 0-5 with Jack Guercio and Mark Phelan at the crease.

Early wickets from Chris Millard (3-29 off 20) and Dan Gilbert (1-45) saw Carlton had the hosts at 4-50, before a spirited fight back from the middle order, edged them towards a competitive total. Cam Stevenson, on debut in the 2nds, took 4 wickets through the middle order, eventually helping Carlton to dismiss Footscray for 222.

Matt Culvenor’s return to the 2nds bore 2-47, to go along with Stevenson’s 4-66.

In an incredible first day’s play at Princes Park no. 3, 15 wickets were taken to leave the match firmly in the balance heading into day two. 

Under pressure early, Carlton lost regular first session wickets that hindered the Blues ability to construct partnerships and a competitive total. At 6-49, the match looked out of reach, however Kyle Mueller and the Carlton tail managed to tough out 75 late runs, to finish at 124 all out. 

Mueller (59*) was outstanding, toughing out early maidens to capitalise late in the innings, helping Carlton to a defendable total with excellent running between the wickets and boundary hitting.

With the ball, Carlton forged a fantastic base from which to work on next week, with Footscray at 5-35 heading into day two. Tim Knox and Stuart Wilson, each with two wickets, were early stars with the ball.

The fourth eleven make it 4 teams out of 4 who are in strong positions heading into the second day of play.  0-4 overnight, Carlton requires 174 for their first victory of the 2012-13 4th XI season.

An even contribution throughout the side saw consistent wicket taking from Carlton’s young brigade. Shannon Blewitt (3-20), Luke Money (2-22) and Anthony Percy (2-29) were the pick of the bowlers in a strong display from Carlton.

Day two action starts at 12pm Saturday for the 1sts and 2nds, while the 3rds and 4ths begin at 12.30pm.

Day 2

Carlton completed a fantastic turnaround Saturday, with three out of four grades registering wins against Footscray-Edgewater CC.

In the 1st XI, Carlton survived a mid-order collapse to chase down Footscray’s 262 with nearly five overs to spare. 

The day started promisingly for the Blues with Jake Hancock (60) and Trent McCormick (26) putting on 80 for the first wicket. McCormick’s dismissal set off a collapse however, which culminated in successive ball run-outs of Pilon and Hancock, leaving Carlton at 4/90 just before tea. Lachie McKenna at the crease. 

Tim Buszard and lachie McKenna steadied the ship after the tea break, scoring regularly to keep the climbing run-rate under control. The final 20 overs saw both post half centuries, and pass Footscray’s total with five overs to spare. Buszard finished with 85*, while McKenna was 81*, combining for a 174 run stand.

Following the win, Carlton has moved into the top six, and is within striking distance of the top of the table.

The 2nd XI survived a nail biter at Merv Hughes oval, winning eight wickets down, with only a couple of overs to spare.

The day started at 0-5, with Mark Phelan and Jack Guercio putting on another 40, before Guercio was dismissed for 11.  The Carlton top and middle order all managed starts, however were over shadowed by the magnificent innings of Phelan. The eldest  Phelan brother, batted through a large proportion of the day, but was tragically dismissed for 99, one short of his second 2nd XI hundred.

Footscray took 5-19 in a devastating middle order spell, which left Carlton in dire straits at 8-176, when Dan Gilbert was dismissed. Carlton needn’t of worried however, with first gamer Cam Stevenson (33*) and Matt Freeman (18*), putting on 47 for 9th wicket, to get the Blues over the line. It was a much needed win for the two’s, who now move into contention for the top eight.

The 3rd XI was agonisingly close to an outright victory at Princes Park no.3, falling just three wickets short of ten points. 

Heading into day two, Carlton needed just  five wickets to wrap up a first innings win, which they achieved in 23 overs.  Ryan Sidebottom and Micato Quinn each claimed two wickets, while Tim Knox added another to his overnight tally.

With an outright victory possible, the Carlton batsmen did not waste any time, batting for just 24 overs in their second innings. Big hitting from Donovan Pell (43) and Jeremy Corby (63) saw Carlton reach 4/127, an overall lead of 180.

Tough batting from the Footscray top order was seemingly enough to put an outright victory beyond reach. However, Ryan Sidebottom (4-13) and Micato Quinn (2-35) ensured the game went down to the final overs. Footscray Edgewater finished 7-68, giving Carlton a first innings victory.

The 4th XI’s disappointing start to the year continued, being defeated by a strong Footscray-Edgewater line up.  Being bowled out for 69 in the first innings, allowed the Blues a second opportunity to bat on day two.

This proved an excellent learning curve for our youngest side, which was much improved in the second innings; finishing at 7-189. Anthony Percy batted well for his 51, and was ably supported by Dan Syson (34), Mick Paradisis (35) and Matt Cottier (29*).

The club has another challenging fixture this week, taking on Dandenong, in what shapes up to be a really important match in the context of the club championship.




 Round Four v Melbourne University

Sunday saw an extremely disappointing day for Carlton, with all four sides going down to a well-equipped Melbourne University.


179 proved not enough in the firsts, with Uni chasing down the total with 8 balls to spare. Numerous starts in the Carlton innings weren’t capitalised on, as regular wickets made it difficult to set a strong total. Austin (3-33) and Sidebottom (3-21) created a difficult environment for which Melbourne University to chase the total, however the experienced Simpson (58*) was the thorn in the Blue’s  side, getting the hosts over the line.
Darren Colaco continued his good form the seconds, claiming 3-27, before injuring his ankle mid-delivery. Melbourne University’s 221 proving too strong for the Carlton batters, who struggled to capitalize on starts from Peter-Budge (41), Borg (33) and Harry Smyth (55). Carlton were 8/208 in reply, falling 13 runs short of the season second victory.
Another close game went begging in the thirds, with Carlton’s surprisingly competitive 118 being chased, 8 wickets down with 3 three overs to go. Spinners Micato Quinn and Matt Culvenor were the almost the heroes for the Blues, taking 2 and 3 wickets respectively.

In the fourths, a small total of 110 was never enough for the Blues to defend, being chased down in 23 overs by our Princes Park neighbours.
Overall, an inconsistent weekend for Carlton, who must look for wins against Footscray Edgewater next week, in order to stay in touch with the leaders in each grade.

Round Three v Hawthorn Monash

In what was an up and down weekend for the Blues, the club came away with three wins out of eight matches, leaving all grades with work to do heading into two-day matches next week.

Saturday saw Carlton take on a newly invigorated Hawthorn Monash University, who would pose a challenge across the grades.  The 1st eleven secured a hard fought win, successfully defending a modest total of 9/180.  
A controlled first innings, was set up by Nathan Pilon (39) and Tim Buszard (30), and was finished off strongly by Nick Austin, who scored a quick fire 24 from number 9, to set a competitive total for the Blues.
A well disciplined bowling performance saw Carlton bowl the Hawks out 25 runs short, with 4.2 overs remaining. Nick Austin was again the star with the ball, taking 3-28, and was well supported by Tom Smyth with 3-54.
A competitive batting display from the Blues help set up a much needed win for the 2nd eleven.  Robbie Phelan (62), Jayden Borg (43), Jack Guerico (35) and Harrison Smyth (25), created and maintained partnerships well through the top order, setting up Carlton’s total of 8/205.
While threatening to take the game away early, regular Hawks wickets through the middle overs saw Carlton keep the hosts to 8/195, to get the first win of the season for the twos. 4 run-outs were the highlight of the bowling innings, along with Chris Millard who took 3/36 in the hard fought win.
The 3rd eleven easily accounted for Hawthorn Monash at home, bowling out the visitors for 142 and chasing down the small total with ease, led by the experienced Dean Peter-Budge. Peter-Budge demonstrated some of the form that has seen him make 1st eleven hundreds, with a blistering 93 no in the 31 over chase. 
3/30 from Matt Culvenor was the highlight early in the day, coming back from a poor first few overs, Culvenor swung the game into the Blues favour, taking wickets in quick succession in the middle order.
While in the 4th eleven, the Blues indifferent start to the year continued, with a 6 wicket defeat courtesy of some poor batting early in the game. 
Englishman James Pettitt showed his wares with a stylish 46, but wasn’t supported enough as Carlton crumbled to 147 all out. Some tight bowling from Dan Syson and Mick Paradisis wasn’t enough to stop Hawthorn running away with the game, and in turn stopping a ‘Blue Day’ for the club.

Round One v Northcote
Carlton has completed a rain interrupted round 1, with two wins, a draw and a loss; gaining crucial wins in the first and third elevens, when many premier fixtures failed to get results.

In first grade, a strong chase set up by Jake Hancock and Tom Smyth, finished off an excellent all-round performance from the Blues. Bowling first, Tim Welsford (2-34) took early wickets to help Carlton restrict Northcote to 2-60 from 16 overs, before stunning spells from Nick Austin (1-13 off 10) and Tom Smyth (2-14 off 10) put Northcote in significant trouble when rain stopped play at 6-102.

A two hour disruption ensured a Duckworth-Lewis revised target for Carlton to chase, which was set at 140 off 38 overs. Starting conservatively, debutant Mark Phelan (14) and Jake Hancock (34) ensured a solid base to which to chase the total. Wickets through the middle of the innings were of ill-consequence with a fantastic performance from Tom Smyth (53*), supported by Lachie McKenna (24*), saw the total chased down with 6 overs to spare.

Highlights from the day included Nathan Pilon’s two fantastic catches behind the stumps, and Mark Phelan’s run out of Northcote danger man Marcus Stoinis.  

In the seconds, rain ruined what promised to be an enthralling contest at Bill Lawry oval. Batting first, Carlton set 4/113 in trying conditions before a rain delay halted any further progress in the Blues innings. In response, the Dragons were 5-71, falling short of the revised total, which meant the two sides having to settle with a draw.

In the three’s, the return of Tim Knox to the Blues bore its fruit in the very first fixture of the year, with Knox’s devastating opening  spell of 3-14 started the Blues 2012-13 campaign off in terrific style. Taking wickets regularly throughout the first innings, Northcote were bowled out for 116, with Knox finishing with 4-17 while Stuart Wilson and debutant Michael Quinn gained two wickets a piece.

A controlled chase, led by Dean Peter-Budge (34) and skipper Jeremy Corby (29), saw the Carlton get the win 5 wickets down with 16 overs to spare.

In Carlton’s only loss for the day, the fours went down to a strong Northcote outfit, who set 2/171 in their reduced 34 over innings. A revised target of 130 was set, but regular wickets and a climbing required run rate got the better of the Blues, who were bowled out for a disappointing 71 in reply.

Next week the club faces a big test, taking on Melbourne Cricket Club. First and Second elevens start at 11.00, while third and forth elevens begin at 12.00.